MACOMB, IL — It’s the Christmas season, which means many people will be traveling. While some homes will be filled with dozens of people, others will be left empty. Burglars target the homes of holiday travelers, so be sure to protect your house if you plan to travel.
The Macomb Police have a few tips to keep your home safe while you’re away.
- Lock your windows and doors. Windows are the most common point of entry for burglars.
- Set your lights on a timer.
- Have the post office hold your mail until you get back. Or,
- Have a friend pick up your mail.
- Have a friend who is staying in the area check on your house throughout the time that you’re gone.
And this tip is most important for college students:
- Take your valuables with you.
Electronics are an easy and rewarding item for burglars. Laptops, gaming systems, tablets, and music players are good examples of items that students should NOT leave in their residence over the holiday break.
Students should be especially careful to lock up their apartment or home. Police say burglars tend to target students’ housing because they know students will leave town for the holidays.